Thursday, March 27, 2014

MY FAVOURITE HIGHLIGHTERS

My favourite highlighters

Highlighter is my top favourite make up product!!

Now with the whole contouring craze it finally considered as one of the make up basics, but I feel it has been underrated for a long time.

They can make such a big difference in your finished make up while being so subtle.
You shouldn't really be able to see your highlighter :-)
It's not supposed to be seen in itself, it's only on your face to make the light that hits you bounce off it, creating more dimension.
If you can see your highlighter, you've probably applied too much or picked the wrong shade :-)

I have so many highlighters just because I love them so much!
My favourite texture is cream. It is easier to control than liquid, and it blends into the skin better than powder.
My favourite shade is champagne, not too frosty cold and not too warm, to look as natural and as skin-like as possible.

On a daily basis, I like to apply it on the top of my cheekbones and in the inner corner of my eyes.
When I'm doing a full face I also highlight my browbone, down my nose, and my Cupid's bow.

Here I'm excited to will tell you which are my favourite highlighters!

My favourite powder highlighter is Mac Soft and Gentle Mineralize Skinfinish.
This is one of the most popular highlighters, every day on Instagram I see many girls include it in their #faceoftheday picture.
It is a true champagne colour and it is SO beautiful. When the light hits it, it sculpts your face like only Michelangelo knows whats we're talking about.

I apply it with my beloved Mac 184 brush - a flat fan-shaped duo-fibre brush made for featherlight application.
Again, this is a tool I feel is so underrated. I use it to layer my highlighter where I want it to be more intense, and then I dust what's left on the brush down my cheeks for an overall satin finish.

Seriously, Mac Soft and Gentle + Mac 184 brush is just the perfection of highlighting.

As I mentioned many times before, I prefer not to take Soft and Gentle with me in my bag when I'm going out or when I'm travelling. I feel it is too fragile and a little on the bulky side anyway.
So my favourite highlighter for travelling is L'Oreal Color Infallible Eyeshadow in 002 Hourglass Beige (called 888 Iced Latte in the US).
It is small and compact and pretty much unbreakable. Being an eyeshadow, it is a lot more pigmented than a regular highlighter, but using a light application brush like Mac 184 still allows me to dose and diffuse the right amount of product.

My favourite cream highlighter is Mac Hush Cream Color Base.
It is sheer but very luminous and light reflecting.
I like to apply it with my foundation brush Real Techniques stippling brush to blend it into my foundation and into my skin for the most real-skin-like finish.

And my favourite liquid highlighter is Inglot AMC (Anvanced Makeup Components) Face and Body Illuminator in shade 63.
This is the sheerest one out of these I have talked about.
I apply this too with my foundation brush, and before I discovered my holy grail life-changing L'Oreal Lumi Magique (True Match Lumi) foundation, I would mix it with my foundation for an overall glowy finish.

Powder highlighters are usually more dramatic because they will sit more on top of the skin, so I'm more likely to reach for Mac Soft and Gentle for a night look, while I will pick up the Inglot Illuminator during the day.

I hope you found this post interesting!
I also wrote an entire post about some of the Nars Orgasm products, highlighters included, here Nars Orgasm blush, Multiple and Illuminator

What are your favourite highlighters? Please let me know, I can never have enough of them!! ^_^
Have a beautiful night *_*

Love
MJ

L'Oreal Hourglass Beige/Iced Latte, Mac Soft and Gentle, Mac Hush, Inglot AMC Illuminator 63

6 comments:

  1. I have a benefit high beam and a mac lightscapade. So many people raved about highbeam of benefit so i bought it but i do not like it. Well..maybe i do not have the skill to apply it well...i don't find it nice..i always thought that the highlighters should be in brighter colour than your own skintone but then here you showed me that it is not necessarily so.! I thought those colours like Mac soft and gentle, hush were more like a bronzing powder but not a highlighter..! I like very much the colour of soft and gentle..will it look nice on warm but not too dark skin tone..? I'll definitely give it a try next time i'll be at Mac..! My bright highlighters look oftentimes "too much" on my face, which i cannot deny. Soft and gentle do seem "soft and gentle" for a highlighter that can give just the "right" glow you need...hmm....i cannot wait to be at Mac soon to try it on! Thank you, MJ, for the post! Wish you a loveliest day! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what your issue with Benefit High Beam was, all I can say is that since it is a very light frosty pink it should be blended accurately. Other than that, it's a great product and I suggest you give it another try, I have it too :-)

      Mac Hush might look a little dark in the pan for a highlighter, but it is very sheer and light reflecting and you won't be able to pick up any pigmentation of its own from the skin :-)

      Thank you so much for sharing your opinions with me,
      a big hug my dear :-* <3

      Delete
  2. MJ-GORGEOUS post!
    I love all about it! I'm not into highlighters that much, but now i want to applie a ton of it :)
    I looove soft and gentle at other persons, but my skin is more on the oily site and I'm often afraid, that I shine like a diamond :D
    Have you tried "crescent moon" by TopShop? It's such a beautiful highlighter with a pink undertone!
    I'm looking forward to your next post! :*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annika my sweetest!!
      I saw Crescent Moon and I was very tempted, but I felt it was a little too light and too frosty so in the end I didn't get it :-( - and Sunbeam was waaay too yellow!!

      I think you should really try Soft and Gentle!!
      Just a light veil of it on top of your cheekbones would be perfect and I don't think that the skin type would be relevant...but then I have dry skin and I could wear whale oil on my face and it would stick hahaha, so I'm really not familiar with any potential issues of oily skin.

      If you get Soft and Gentle it will last you forever and it's a little on the pricey side, it would be a shame to buy it and then not use it, so definitely test it on yourself for a good day - or night! ;-) - before you decide! :-)

      Love you x

      Delete
  3. The first L'Oreal Infallible Shadow I bought was Hourglass Beige and I LOVE it - except I kept hearing bloggers talk about Iced Latte and figured I was missing out on something special.... Thank GOODNESS you put in there that Iced Latte was the American title, I have been searching for it everywhere not knowing it was already in my drawer hahaha

    If you haven't yet, you should try the Mary Lou and Cindy Lou-manizers from The Balm! They are gorgeouus highlighters

    xx <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha so crazy right??!
      I could understand adjusting a product name from English to Japanese, but from Europe and Canada to US???
      As if Americans would't find the partially-French-sounding "Hourglass Beige" marketable enough, and would be more lured by Starbucks-reminiscent "Iced Latte" instead???
      Well what matters is that we have "IT" my friend!!! ^_^

      Yes I already have Mary Lou-manizer, I got it over a year ago way before all the hype started, and I'm not ashamed to confess that I bought it because I loved its NAME!!!! ...Boy don't try to front I-I know just-just what you a-a-are... :-D

      Thank you so much for writing me beautiful :-))) xx

      Delete

Thank you for writing me, I will get back to you asap :-*